Cat owners are perhaps some of the luckiest pet owners. Unlike dogs, cats are clean and self-sufficient. However, they are also picky by nature. They are very particular about almost everything, including when you pet them, how you pet them, the foods they eat, and even where they use the bathroom.
You may think that purchasing a standard litter box is enough to appease your cat, but do not be fooled. Many cats will turn up their noise to a litter box if it does not come with preferred features. You may not realize it, but there are many different litter boxes that you can purchase. They come in all different shapes and sizes.
However are you to choose a litter box that works best for your cat when there are so many options? Fortunately, this article will review the six of the top-rated litter boxes on the market to simplify your decision. When choosing the best litter box for your cat, you should also look for features that are beneficial to you, too.
What is the Best Litter Box for your Cat?
Consider Their Privacy
When choosing a litter box, consider one that offers your cat plenty of privacy. The privacy of your cat goes beyond the features of the litter box. You must also consider the best place to put a litter box. Animal Planet suggests finding a place that is safe, quiet and sees a low amount of foot traffic.
Although it is not necessary, some cats prefer hooded litter boxes because it provides them with additional privacy. Some cat owners make the mistake of purchasing a litter box with steep sides because they believe it adds to their cat’s privacy. However, the sides of the box should allow smaller cats, such as kittens, to enter the box with ease.
+ Free Shipping at Chewy.com
Consider Your Cats
Do you own one cat or multiple cats? If you own one cat, you can get away with purchasing a standard size litter box. However, if you own multiple cats, you should consider purchasing a larger cat box, or even one that allows for easy daily cleaning. Some experts suggest purchasing each cat their own litter box.
Consider the Type of Litter Box
You will find litter boxes that require manual cleaning and other that offer self-cleaning. When considering the type of litter box you should purchase, take into consideration your needs and the needs of your cat. If you work a lot or are away from home often, a self-cleaning litter box is your best bet.
If the litter box becomes too filthy, your cat will not want to use it. Cats prefer to stay as clean as possible. For that reason, they will become very finicky once their litter box becomes too dirty. If you opt for a box that you have to manually clean, you must clean it once every other day at best. You may have to clean it more often if you have more than one cat.
Keep in mind that a self-cleaning litter box is great for people who are away often. However, the self-cleaning boxes tend to make noise, which may scare your cat. If your cat is sensitive to strange sounds and noises, a self-cleaning box may feel very appealing. As such, your cat may avoid the litter box out of fear.
Features to Consider
When purchasing the best litter box for your cat, there are some features that you should consider. Always pay attention to the features of the box before you make your final purchase decisions.
The size of the litter box is one of the most important features to take into consideration. A standard size box works great if you have one cat or if you are home often enough to clean it regularly. However, if you have multiple cats or you are away from your home a lot, consider purchasing a larger litter box.
The design of the litter box is nearly as important as the size of it. You will find that there are several different design options. For instance, you have boxes with steep sides and boxes with shorter sides. You also have litter boxes with hoods. A hood may prove beneficial for both you and your cat.
A hooded box provides an extra layer of privacy. Also, a hood hides your cat’s activities while it uses the bathroom. You and any guests you have over do not want to witness your cat in the act of using the bathroom. Additionally, many consumers report that a hooded litter box helps minimize the smell of a cat’s urine and fecal matter.
Pay attention to the operation of the box. Does it require manual cleaning or does it offer self-cleaning functionality? If you do not mind manual cleaning and you feel that you can keep up with frequently cleanings, then a standard litter box should work just fine. A standard litter box often costs far less than a self-cleaning litter box.
However, if you have the extra money to spend and you have an aversion to manually cleaning your cat’s litter box, you might want to opt for a self-cleaning litter box. A self-cleaning litter box provides several benefits. You do not have to get your hands dirty, you can avoid the unpleasant smell, and you can leave town without worrying about your cat’s box getting too filthy.
Six Best Litter Boxes
Quick Look : Best Cat Litter Boxes in 2019
Nature’s Miracle Just for Cats Advanced Hooded Corner Cat Litter Box Check Price
Cat parents will enjoy the Nature’s Miracle Just for Cats Advanced Hooded Corner Cat Litter Box. It offers a space-saving design that works great for small spaces. If you live in an apartment and lack the room needed for a standard litter box, you will appreciate the corner design.
You can easily tuck the box away in a quiet corner that provides your cat the privacy he or she needs when using the bathroom. Since the box has a hood, it provides additional privacy and protects your eyes from having to see what goes on inside your cat’s litter box. The cat box also uses a replaceable charcoal filter, which minimizes unpleasant odors
You only need to replace the filter once every three months to help eliminate unwanted odors emanating from your cat box. The non-stick surface of the box prevents litter from caking to the bottom and sides of the box, which makes clean up easy. The box measures 27x23x20, which is just right for a standard size house cat.
- Hooded feature provides your cat with much needed privacy while keeping your cat’s activities in the litter box hidden from view
- Non-stick surface makes cleaning quick and easy while preventing issues with litter caked to the bottom
- Replaceable charcoal filter reduces odors and lasts for up to three months
- Space-saving corner design allows for you to tuck the litter box in a quiet space out of sight for the benefit of you and your cat
- Some consumers complain the box is bigger than expected and not ideal for tiny spaces
- Materials not as durable as some customer prefer
- Odor blockage is not as good as advertised
Tidy Cats Breeze Cat Litter Box System Check Price
The Tidy Cats Breeze Cat Litter Box System provides plenty of low-maintenance features for cat parents to enjoy. The system uses specifically design Breeze Litter Pellets, which are safe for you and your cat. The pellets are 99.9% dust-free, which means you do not have to worry about breathing in a cloud of urine and feces filled vapor when cleaning the cat box.
The litter box also contains a Breeze Cat Pad, which provides odor elimination to protect your nostrils from unpleasant smells. When your cat urinates, the system quickly solidifies the waste, leaving it on top of the tray so you can scoop it out quickly and easily. The litter box takes into account the cat owner who prefer an easy to clean, easy to maintain and odor-free cat box.
The dimensions of the box are 20.5×188.8.131.52, which is great if you own just one cat. Keep in mind that the size of the box may not prove ideal for multiple cats. However, since the system maintains a clean environment, it is possible that two cats can use the Tidy Cats Breeze Cat Litter Box System.
- All-in-one easy cleaning system that eliminates odors and solidifies cat waste for fast, simple removal
- Easy to assemble
- Disposable cat pads absorb foul odors
- Dust-free pellets that are safe for you and your cat
- Removable hood that provides your cat with added privacy and makes cleaning easier
- Must use a specific litter
- The size of the box is rather small, which might be an issue if you have a larger cat
- Some cats may not prefer the box because it is not roomy enough for them
Petmate Hooded Litter Pan Check Price
The Petmate Hooded Litter Pan is a simple litter box with a unique design. The sides of the pan come up high enough to prevent messes from spilling out. The high sides also offer your cat privacy, as does the hooded top. Fortunately, there is a wide, low entrance that gives cats easy access in and out, including young kittens.
The pan has four molded feet on the bottom for added security to keep it from sliding smooth floors. Sturdy materials ensure that the cat box can withstand plenty of use. The box measures 21.77×18.03×18.45, which is great for small and large cats alike. The pan also comes with Microban, which prevents the growth of mold, mildew, and odor-causing bacteria.
When cats use a litter box, they tend to kick their feet through the litter to cover up the smell. Fortunately, you do not have to worry about litter exiting the box thanks to the steep sides of the box. The sides ensure that litter stays exactly where it should, which is inside the box. The box comes in a variety of fun colors based on your preference.
- Comes in a unique color variety
- Perfect for cats of all sizes
- Steep sides to prevent litter from spilling out
- Hooded top provides your cat with privacy
- Microban prevents the growth of mold, mildew, and odor causing bacteria
- Wide opening allows easy entry for small cats, including kittens
- Looks cheaply made
- Plastic seems flimsy
- May not accommodate cat bigger than a standard size house cat
PetMate Top Entry Litter Pan Check Price
The PetMate Top Entry Litter Pan provides a unique design for pet parents and their finicky cats. Rather than providing front or side entry like a standard cat box, your cat must enter through a wide opening at the top of the box. The box provides your cat with the utmost privacy thanks to the covered sides and mostly covered top.
You will enjoy the PetMate Top Entry Litter Pan if you live in a home with multiple pets. Dogs tend to find the smell of a litter box very alluring. Keeping their nose out of the box is difficult. Fortunately, the top entry of the box means your cat can safely use the bathroom without the dog putting his or her nose into the box.
The box measures 20.3×15.1×15.2, which gives your cat enough room to move around. If you are an eco-conscious person, you will enjoy that the materials used to make the box come from 95% recycled materials. Thanks to the design of the box, you never have to worry about litter spilling over the edge or anywhere outside of the box where it doesn’t belong.
- Top-entry design prevents dogs from nosing in the litter
- Design prevents litter from spilling out of the box
- Made from recycled materials
- High sides and mostly covered top provides your cat with some much-needed privacy
- Built-in handles make it easy for you to lift and move the box as well as tip it to remove old litter
- Affordable price point for cat parents on a budget
- Litter tends to stick to the materials (litter caking to the bottom and sides)
- Not easy to clean because of messes sticking to the box
- Too small for larger cats
- Some cats may act finicky about a top-entry design
Omega Paw Roll’N Clean Cat Litter Box Check Price
The Omega Paw Roll’N Clean Cat Litter Box is an ideal solution for cat parents who have very little time on their hands. Whether you work long hours, leave town often, or you hate the idea of scooping your cat’s litter box, you will enjoy the scooping mechanism this cat box offers. It contains a patented grill that allows you to roll the box from top to bottom to scoop the litter.
When you roll the box, clumps of cat waste fall into the pull-out tray located at the bottom. Simply pull the tray out and dispose of the clumps in the trash. You do not have to use electricity to use the scooping mechanism. Instead, you just need to take a minute of your time to roll the litter box into position to properly dispose of the waste into the designated tray.
The litter box measures 23x20x19, which makes it ideal for larger cats. It is also a great box for households with multiple cats. The fact that it comes with an easy self-cleaning mechanism that allows you to avoid getting your hands dirty feels like a bonus. Because you can easily remove waste quickly and easily, you do not need to use as much litter as you would in a standard cat box.
- Self-cleaning mechanism (just roll to clean)
- Pull-out tray allows for easy removal of cat waste
- Large size makes it great for big cats and multi-cat households
- Lidded design provides your cat with privacy when using the bathroom
- Doesn’t use electricity, which means no worries if the power goes out
- Litter tray doesn’t appear to fit quite right, so litter might fall out while rolling
- Does not appear to collect all clumps of litter, so some manual cleaning is still required
- Dividing screen used to catch litter minimizes the size of the box, which means large cats may feel uncomfortable or lack space
Van Ness Enclosed Litter Pan Check Price
The Van Ness Enclosed Litter Pan is a simple litter box with unique features that take it to the next level. Like a standard litter box, it comes with a bottom pan that has steep sides. It also has a hooded top that provides a front entry for your cat to climb in and out of the box. A flap over the entryway keeps odors trapped inside the box where they belong.
The cat box comes with a replaceable zeolite air filter to further minimize bad smells It also has a high-polished finish that resists stains and odor-causing bacteria, which also makes it fast and easy to clean. If you prefer to use disposable liners, the latches that hold the bottom and top of the pan together can also hold liners securely in place.
The box is made of 20% recycled materials and measures 19.5×15.25×17, which is great for a standard house cat. There are different sizes available in the event you need a box for a larger breed of cat. The extra-large size measures 21.5×17.5×18, which works well for large breeds and multi-cat houses.
- Odor-reducing filter
- Polished finish that prevents stains and additional odors
- Large and extra-large sizes available
- Made from 20% recycled materials for the eco-conscious pet parent
- Comes with a hood that offers your cat privacy
- Has a flap over the entry to prevent odors from escaping the cat box
- Steep sides make it hard for kittens to get in and out of the box
- Consumers say it appears cheaply made, materials do not seem durable
- Clips that hold top and bottom together seem weak and may snap after a certain time
Overall, the best litter box for your cat is the one that makes your cat feel the most comfortable. You do not need the most advanced litter box system on the market, but you should take into consideration the personality of your cat. If your cat prefers privacy, consider a box with a hood. Purchase a box with high sides if your cat has a habit of making a mess. In the end, you know your cat better than anyone.